Wednesday 30 July 2008

No problem!

Emphasis on the "No" and a big cheerful smile. And we're off; the builders have landed, and will be turning up at my door at 7 a.m. tomorrow to apply serious wrecking tactics to my bathroom before transforming it into an insulated haven of warmth and clean grouting, smart tiles and glass, and somewhere to hide the cleaning products.

Then they will turn their attention to the back kitchen, as I have always called the utility room, as it used to be my tiny cramped main kitchen before I sacrificed the gloomy dining room and turned it into a big(ger) dining kitchen instead. Somehow utility seemed a bit pretentious for the bodged-DIY site it always was, and scullery wasn't right either, at least not without a scullery maid with
hands made red and raw from washing up with soda crystals and no gloves. (Aaawwww....remember poor Ruby, the bullied and browbeaten little servant in 'Upstairs Downstairs'? I'm giving my age away here, I know...)

I have Googled a translator site, and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in mangling both English and a foreign language for fun. What you do, I discovered today, is type in some words or phrase you want to translate, in my case from English into Polish, then put the resulting Polish phrase back into the translation box and see what you get. Not what you first put in, that's for sure. For example: "What time do you start tomorrow?" in Polish (well, so far as one can ascertain), comes out, when re-translated into English, as "Every time you start tomorrow". I think I shall stick to tapping my watch and looking questioningly at the departing builders, and try not to blanch when they say something that means 3 hours earlier than I normally surface.

More as we progress.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails